Dhanteras is celebrated on the Trayodasi of Kartik month. This festival informs before coming to Deepawali. On the day of Dhanteras, worship of Lord Yama and Lord Dhanwantari is important. In Indian culture, health is considered to be above wealth. This proverb is still in vogue that the first happiness is a physical body and the second happiness is Maya in the house. Therefore, the importance of Dhanteras has been given first in Deepawali. Which is perfectly compatible with Indian culture.
- Lord Dhanvantari was born on the day of Trayodasi of Krishna Paksha of Kartik month. Therefore, this day is known as Dhanteras.
- Worshiping Dhanteras inauspicious time is considered auspicious.
- The festival of Diwali, which lasts for five days, begins with Dhanteras.
- Dhanteras is considered a festival of happiness, wealth, and prosperity.
- On this day, Dhanvantari, the god of medicine, is worshiped. And good health is also wished.
- According to the Skandha Purana, at the time of churning the sea between gods and demons, Lord Vishnu appeared as Lord Dhanvantari to immortalize the gods and came out of the sea with nectar in the urn. Goddess Lakshmi is also very happy by worshiping Lord Dhanvantari.
- Lord Dhanvantari has four arms, out of which he is holding conch and chakra in two arms. And in the other two arms, the urn of medicine and nectar is holding.
Story Behind Dhanteras
(1) According to the stories mentioned in the scriptures, Lord Dhanvantari appeared on the day of Kartik Trayodashi during Samudra Manthan with nectar Kalas in his hands.
- It is believed that Lord Dhanvantari is the incarnation of Vishnu.
- Lord Vishnu incarnated as Lord Dhanvantari for the expansion and spread of medicine, science in the world.
(2) There is a story related to Dhanteras that Lord Vishnu broke an eye of Shukracharya, the guru of Asuras, because of hindering the work of the deities on the day of Kartik Krishna Paksha’s Trayodashi.
- According to the legend, Lord Vishnu incarnated Vamana to free the gods from the fear of King Bali and reached the place of ‘Yagna’ of King Bali. Shukracharya recognized Lord Vishnu who came as Vamana.
- And Shukracharya told King Bali that if Vaman asks for anything, then refuse it.
- And said Vamana is the real God Vishnu who has come to take away everything from you to help the gods (Devta).
- Bali did not listen to Shukracharya. King Bali took a pledge to take water from the Kamandal to donate the three steps of land demanded by Vamana God. And in order to prevent King Bali from donating Asura’s guru, Shukracharya entered King Bali’s Kamandal in miniature form. And this led to the stop of water from the Kamandal. Vamana understood the tricks of Lord Shukracharya. Then Lord Vamana inserted a Kusha inside the Kamandala and the eye of Shukracharya sitting inside the Kamandal goes away. And Shukracharya comes out of the Kamandal. After this, Bali took a pledge to donate three steps of land.
- Lord Vamana measured the entire earth with one foot. And by measuring the space with the second leg and there was no place to keep the third leg, Bali placed his head at the feet of God. King Bali lost everything in charity.
- In this way, the deities got freedom from the fear of king Bali. And from the wealth that King Bali had taken away from the gods, much more wealth came to the gods. For this reason, the festival of Dhanteras is also celebrated.
What should Purchase?
- It is also believed that on this day, buying dried coriander seeds and keeping them in the house also increases the wealth of the family. On the day of Dhanteras, along with the tradition of worshiping Goddess Lakshmiji and God of Wealth, Kubera, there is also a law to worship God Yama and worship him.
- On the day of Dhanteras, buying silver and other metals in any form according to your capacity is considered extremely auspicious.
- In addition, It is believed that brass is very dear to Lord Dhanvantari. Because the urn of nectar was made of brass. Therefore, buying brass on Dhanteras is also considered auspicious.
Best Time (Kaal) To Worship
- It is considered best to worship Goddess Lakshmi on the day of Dhanteras during Pradosh Kaal.
- The Pradosh Kaal (period) begins after sunset. And lasts for two hours and 22 minutes.
Reason Behind Purchase Silver
- Moreover Buying silver on Dhanteras is considered very auspicious. Because silver is considered a symbol of the moon. And the moon is a symbol of coolness. Therefore, buying silver brings a wealth of satisfaction in the mind. Therefore, the person who has satisfaction is happy, healthy, and rich.
Dhanteras worship method
- Spray Ganga water in a clean place near east of the house or near the temple of the house. Make a symbol of the swastika through a roll on a wooden pedestal. After that, put a clay lamp on that pit and light it. Spray Ganga water thrice around the lamp. Put roli tilak on the lamp. After that place some rice on the tilak. After this, put a coin of 1 rupee in the lamp. Offer a few flowers on the lamp, and bow to the lamp. Apply tilak to all family members. Now keep that lamp near the entrance of your house. Keep it on the right side and make sure that the light is towards the south direction. After this, light a lamp for the worship of Yama Dev. And do Dhanvantari in the house of worship and sit on the pedestal and chant the Dhanvantari mantra “Om Dhan Dhanvantaraye Namah” 108 times or as much as possible.
- To get wealth, light a lamp at the place of worship in the house for the deity Kubera and burn it at the main gate in the house for Yama, the god of death.
- In addition, It is believed that worshiping Yama Dev on the day of Dhanteras removes the fear of untimely death. Therefore, after worshiping Yama Dev, a lamp should be kept for the whole night at the main gate of the house and facing the south.