Today we will know about such a saint who spent his life in spirituality. Those who believed that all religions of the world lead us on the path of truth. The main purpose of all religions is only to attain the divine. Today we will know that Swami Vivekananda’s Guru Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. (Ramkrishna | Life of Shri Ramkrishna Paramhansa)
Family of Ramkrishna Paramhansa
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was born on 18 February 1836 in Kamarpukur, a village in Bengal.
- His childhood was named Gadadhar Chatterjee.
- His father’s name was Khudiram Chatterjee and his mother’s name was Chandra Devi.
Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was a Divine Soul
- It is said that before the birth of Gadadhar, his parents had experienced supernatural events and visions.
- Once in Gaya, his father Khudiramji had a dream. In which he saw Lord Gadadhar, who is an avatar of Vishnu, he has told him that he will be born as his son.
- His mother Chandramani also had one such experience. They saw the light entering their womb in the Shiva temple.
- All these things show that Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was a divine soul.
Childhood of Ramkrishna
- Gadadhar studied in a school in his own village for 12 years, but he did not feel like studying.
- He mostly made idols of Hindu deities from the soil. And he used to hear the story of Ramayana and Mahabharata from the visiting monk.
- Ramakrishna started having spiritual experiences from the age of 6.
- Whenever he used to go to any puja or Katha, he used to reach the state of samadhi.
- In 1843, when Gadadhar was 7 years old, his father died due to some reason.
- Due to which the responsibility of all the people of the house came to his elder brother Ramkumar Chatterjee.
Ramkrishna as a Dakshineswar Priest
- For this, Ramkumar Chatterjee started teaching Sanskrit to children in Kolkata. And he also became a priest in a temple.
- In 1852, Ramakrishna also went with him to Kolkata to help Ramkumarji in his puja system.
- In 1855 Sri Ramkumar Chattopadhyay was appointed as the priest of Mahakali of Dakshineswar.
- There too Sri Ramakrishna started to help him.
- Sri Ramakrishna was given the responsibility of decorating the idol of the goddess.
- Ramkumar Chattopadhyay died in 1856 due to misfortune.
- After which Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansji was appointed as the chief priest of Mahakali.
- After Ramkumar’s death, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa became engrossed in more meditation.
Marriage Life of Ramkrishna
- This time brought invaluable devotion to Mother Kali in the life of Ram Krishna.
- He started seeing Kali Mata as his mother. It is said that Ramakrishna had a vision of Kali Mata. And he used to have a talking with Kali Mata.
- After a few days, it failed that Ramakrishna’s mental balance had deteriorated due to excessive meditation in Dakshineswar.
- Due to this, his family began to worry about him. Decided to get married Ramakrishna’s. So that due to the responsibilities of married life, their focus in sadhana is lessened.
- In 1859, 30-year-old Ramakrishna was married to 5-year-old Shardamani Mukhopadhyay.
- After marriage, Sharadamani continued to live in Jayarambati and after 18 years she moved to live in Dakshineswar with Ramakrishna.
- Ramakrishna had adopted a monk’s life by that time. Sharadaji considered him to be her spiritual master throughout her life.
- And spent his entire life on his ideals. Ramakrishna Paramahamsa devout God through many mediums.
- Usually, any devotee believes the same God throughout his life. But Ramakrishna performed different types of devotion from time to time.
- He believed that only by treating all religions and God in different ways, one gets spiritual progress.
- He learned many Sadhna in his life from many gurus. Once a Sadhvi came to the temple of Dakshineswar named Bhairavi Brahmani.
- Shri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa learned 64 types of sadhana from him. In 1865, he took the education of Advaita Vedanta from Sadhu Totapuri.
- Sadhu Totapuri gave spiritual education to Ramakrishna for 11 months. During this, he reached Nirvikalpa Samadhi which is considered the best in all types of Samadhi. Nirvikalpa Samadhi came to an end when Kali Mata asked him to be in a Bhavamukhavshtha. The state in which a person lives between samadhi and his consciousness is called Bhavmukhavastha.
Swami Vivekanand First Meeting
- From 1875, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa started becoming famous far and wide. Spiritual people from far and wide started coming to meet them.
- Such as Keshav Chandra Sen, the dictator of Brahmasevak Samaj, Kratartha Chandra Majumdar, Srinath Shastri, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar of Bengal, Shri Devendranath Tagore, father of Rabindranath Tagore, and Dayanand Saraswatiji, the founder of Arya Samaj.
- The first biography of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was written in English by Majumdarji Whose name was ‘The Hindu Saint’. Due to this, Ramakrishna Paramhamsa immediately became famous among foreigners.
- And one of those people who were influenced by Ramakrishna was Dr. William Hastie, Principal of Scottish Church College, Kolkata.
- Once, Dr. William Hastie was explaining the poem The Excursion’s word ‘Trance’. Then he told his students that if you want to know the true meaning of this word, then you have to go to Dakshineshwar and meet Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansaji.
- Inspired by this, some of his students decided to go there and meet him. One of which was Narendranath Dutt who later came to be called Swami Vivekananda.
- Swami Vivekananda became his ultimate disciple after meeting Ramakrishna.
Establishment of Ramkrishna Mission
- Swami Vivekananda later spread the teachings he received from his guru to the whole world. Swami Vivekananda also established the Ramakrishna Mission.
- Ramakrishna unfortunately got throat cancer in 1885. For which he was taken to Shyampukur, a city near Kolkata. But even after there is no improve his physical health, so he was taken to a place called Cossipure.
- There his disciples and his wife Smt. Sharada Devi served him a lot. Even after throat cancer, whenever someone used to visit him, Shri Ramakrishna Paramhansa used to talk to him. Because they did not want anyone to come to them and they did not want to insult them by not talking to them.
- Ramakrishna Paramahansa, in the last days of his life, asked Swami Vivekananda to take care of all his disciples. And in the next few days, Ramakrishna’s health deteriorated further.
- And on the morning of 16 August 1886, he died at the Cossipore Garden House.
- Later, Swami Vivekananda and other disciples of Shri Ramkrishna Paramhansaji took the teachings of Ramakrishna Mission not only in India but also abroad. Ramakrishna Paramhansji spent his entire life in devotion to God and did not believe in the discrimination of religion and caste.
- Some books are also present above the life of Ramakrishna Paramahansaji. The first book on his life introduction was written by Sri Mahendranath Gupta, named Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrut.
- This book is in five volumes which were published between 1902 to 1932 Which was translated into English named ‘The Gospel of Ramakrishna’ written by Swami Nikhilananda.