Donation is very important in Makar Sankranti. And it has been said that donating on that day brings multi folding growth. On January 15, the sun is going to transit in Capricorn which will make the sun Uttarayan.(Surprising Facts About Uttarayan Festival)
What is Uttarayan? (Surprising Facts About Uttarayan Festival)
- When the Sun enters Capricorn, Makar Sankranti starts from the same day.
- And on the same day, Makarsankranti, the most auspicious festival of Hindus, is also celebrated.
- In the Hindu calendar, a year is divided into two parts, the first is Uttarayan and the second is Dakshinayan.
- It consists of Uttarayan for six months and Dakshinayan for six months.
- When the Sun transits from Capricorn to Gemini, it is called Uttarayan Surya. And when the Sun transits from Cancer to Sagittarius, it is called Dakshinayan.
- According to the English calendar, the period from January to June is the Uttarayana of the Sun. And the time from July to December is Dakshinayan of the Sun.
- According to Hindu scriptures, Uttarayanasurya is the day of those deities. And Dakshinayasurya is considered the night of the gods.
When and how long is Uttarayan and Dakshinayan, what to do and what not.
- According to Hindu Panchag, there are two “Aayan” (ions) in a year, that is, the sun’s position changes twice a year. And the same change is called Ion Dakshinayan and Uttarayan.
- According to Kaal calculation, when the Sun travels from Capricorn to Gemini, then this time is called Uttarayan. This time is six months.
- After this, when the Sun moves from Cancer to Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius, then this time is called Dakshin Ion. In this way, both these ions are for six months.
- According to the scriptures, Dakshinayan is considered to be a symbol of negativity and Uttarayan is considered a positive sign.
- The religious activities performed in these days are most significance like austerity, chanting, fasting, charity, bathing, shraddh, tarpan, and so on.
- The time from one solstice to another is called solar month.
- The solar year has two parts.
- At the time of Uttarayan, the days become longer and the nights become shorter. When the sun is Uttarayan, it is the time of pilgrimage and festivities. During Uttarayan, Posh Magh month is going on. From January 14 to June 21, Makara Sankranti sometimes comes on January 15, and Uttarayan remains till 22.
What is difference between between Uttarayana and Dakshinayana?
Uttarayan (Surprising Facts About Uttarayan Festival)
- It is considered auspicious to do auspicious things like new work, home entry, yagna, fast, rituals, marriages, mundan in this period.
- Uttarayan Makara Sankranti i.e. from 14 January to the beginning of 21 June. Sometimes Makarsankranti comes on 15 January and Uttarayan lasts till 22 June.
- Dakshinayan starts from 21 or 22 June and lasts till 13 January. The festival of Lohri is also celebrated on 13 January.
- Dakshinayan begins in the month of June, especially on the 21st or 22nd. On 21, 22 June, when the sun goes from Uttarayan to Dakshinayan, according to religious belief, Dakshinayan is the night of the deities. At the time of Dakshinayan, the nights get longer and the days start getting shorter. In Dakshinayan, the sun moves with a tilt towards the south and Dakshinayan fasting is a fasting time. Dakshinayan marriages, Mundan, Upanayan etc. are considered auspicious, but this time is considered suitable for vengeful experiments.
- The Dakshinayan of the Sun signifies the will, desires and pleasures.
- During this time, diseases and mourning are eradicated by religious work done at this time, like fasting etc.
Importance (significance) of Uttarayan and Dakshinayan
- According to Hindu scriptures, the festival of Sun’s entry from Dakshinayan to Uttarayan means Makarsankranti. Makara Sankranti consists of three seasons of the year, such as Shishir, Basant, and Rishabh seasons of Uttarayan.
- In the mythological context, Bhishma Pitamah waited for Uttarayan for his death.
- And this is the belief that the river Ganges was the northernmost on earth from heaven. Therefore, the bathing of Magh is also important.
- In Uttarayana, along with chanting, penance, auspicious works like Marriage Yajnopavit, Griha Pravesh and Manglik works are started.
- The identity of Uttarayan in ancient times is that the sky is clear i.e. devoid of clouds.
- And during Dakshinayan, there are three seasons: Rain, Sharad and Hemant. And in Dakshinayan, the sky is surrounded by clouds.
Effects Of Uttarayana And Dakshinayana
- When the sun is Dakshinayan, the storm is the first to come. Illness fills up. Winter comes. The immunity system of our body becomes weak.
- When the sun is in Uttarayan, the rays of the sun fall directly on the earth. Sickness is reduced. Our body’s immunity system starts improving. With this, whatever festival we have, they also start with Uttarayanasurya.
- Surya is the soul of the entire universe. The rays of the sun bring energy to the earth. So when the Sun is Uttarayan, then its rays direct fall on the earth. So at this time if you start any of your work, you always get good results in it. All auspicious works in Hindus start in Uttarayan. With this, Uttarayan is considered auspicious for spirituality and religious trends.
Mahabharat (Surprising Facts About Uttarayan Festival)
- Uttarayan Surya is so important that in the Mahabharata, father Bhishma left his body at the time of Uttarayan.
- Because Krishna ji has also said in the Gita that at the time of sun of Uttarayan, the soul gets freedom from all things.
- Makar Sankranti is considered to be the most auspicious and important festival in our Hindus. It has been said in our scriptures that the Makar Sankranti is as important as the Peepal tree in trees, Aairawat in elephants, and Himalayas in mountains.
What You Should Donate According To your Rashi(Horoscope)?
|1||Aries/Mesh||Donate jaggery, peanuts, or sesame seeds.|
|2||Taurus/Vris||White clothes or Sesame seeds|
|3||Gemini/Mithoon||Moong Dal, Rice or Blanket|
|4||Cancer/Kark||Rice, Silver or Sesame seeds|
|5||Leo/Singh||Copper, White or Red clothes|
|6||Virgo /Kanya||Khichadi (Hotchpotch), Blanket or green clothes|
|7||Libra/Tula||Sugar white clothes or blanket|
|8||Scorpio/Vrischik||Red clothes, Sesame seeds, jaggery|
|9||Sagittarius/Dhanu||Yellow clothes or Moong dal|
|10||Capricorn/Makar||Blanket or Oil|
|11||Aquarius/Kumbh||Black clothes, Kali Udat or Khichadi|
|12||Pisces/Meen||Donate gram lentils, Rice or Sesame seeds|